Alerus Center celebrates 10 years
The Alerus Center kicked off its ten year anniversary celebration by hosting an open house, on St. Patrick’s Day, with all sorts of tasty treats that show off their fabulous food creation abilities. The ballroom was packed with locals enjoying the region’s premiere meeting and event center. There are a number of events taking place in 2011 to celebrate the past ten years, including a Tim McGraw concert on May 17 – tickets are available at www.ticketmaster.com.
The Al has seen over 3.2 million people come through its doors and hosted over 5,500 events, which has had a significant positive impact on our community. The recent renovations combined with the variety of space options and food and beverage selection, continue to entice groups and events to Grand Forks.
I have enjoyed experiencing an array of concerts as well as attending a number of events, over the last eight years I have been in town. It was amazing seeing Cher, Alan Jackson, Martina McBride, Fleetwood Mac and others just ten minutes from my house. I also witnessed two presidential candidates appearing on the same stage, within hours of each other, when then-Senators Obama and Clinton visited Grand Forks during the ND Democratic Convention. Thousands of people traveled from all over the region to see this historic event for our community. With only days to prepare and working around an international sporting event starting the same day in Grand Forks, it was amazing what a successful event this was.
I listed the Alerus’ “top 10” in ten years, which includes their top five concerts and top five events with attendance figures.
- 2002 – Cher – 19,656
- 2001 – Backstreet Boys – 17,470
- 2004 – Alan Jackson/Martina McBride – 15,459
- 2001 – Aerosmith – 13,881
- 2009 – Britney Spears – 12,708
- 2008 – Democratic NPL Convention with President Obama and Secretary of State Clinton – 17,451
- 2008 – Marketplace of Ideas – 6,020 x 2 days = 12,040
- 2007 – Health Care Horizons – 1575 x 2 days = 3,150
- 2010 – ND Reading Conference – 1500 x 2 days – 3,000
- 2008 – ND Home School Association – 800 x 2 days = 1,600
Congrats on ten years and many more in Grand Forks!