Get going on The Greenway
The Greater Grand Forks Greenway is a huge public recreational space bordering the Red River and Red Lake River in the adjacent cities of Grand Forks, ND and East Grand Forks, MN. At 2,200 acres, it is more than twice the size of New York City’s famous Central Park!
One of the most prominent features of The Greenway is its extensive 20-mile system of paths which are used by bikers, walkers, joggers, inline skaters and cross-country skiers. In 2007, the system was designated as a National Recreation Trail by the National Park Service. There are also several city parks and two golf courses along The Greenway. Other amenities include wildlife observation areas, a campground, fishing spots, interpretive displays, wildflower gardens and sites for various athletic activities including volleyball, horseshoes, disc golf and ice skating. Throughout the year, The Greenway and nearby space is also used to host several festivals and events.
The Greenway, developed after the devastating Red River Flood of 1997, encompasses major portions of the two communities that lie within the floodplain. After the flood, several neighborhoods were removed to make way for a massive new dike flood protection system; The Greenway includes the land that sits between these new dikes and the rivers. Today, it serves the dual purpose of holding back high river waters and providing simply grand recreational and entertainment opportunities for locals and visitors alike.
Remaining 2016 happenings by/on The Greenway
- Outdoor Farmers Market: Every Saturday, mid-June thru September, 9 AM to 1:30 PM, Town Square
- History Alive Downtown Guided Walking Tour: Every Saturday, mid-June thru September, 1 PM, departing from Town Square
- Yoga on the Greenway: Every Saturday, mid-June thru September, 10 AM, The Greenway behind Toasted Frog
- Art & Wine Walk: August 20, September 17 & October 15, 1 to 5 PM, Downtown District
- Rollin’ on the River Inline Marathon: August 27, 7 AM, The Greenway
- Happy Harry’s Blues on the Red Music Fest: August 27, 5 to 10 PM, Town Square
- Downtown Street Fair: September 9 & 10, 10 AM to 10 PM, Downtown District
- Uff Da Mud Run: September 10, 9 AM, The Greenway & Red River
- HollyDazzle Festival of Lights: November 27, 3 to 8 PM, Town Square & Downtown District
- Lion’s Christmas in the Park: November 25 thru December 31, 5:30 to 10 PM, Lincoln Drive Park
- Santa’s Village: Dec. 8-11 & 15-18, Lincoln Drive Park
If you would like more information about The Greenway or further details on any of these events, please contact Kim Greendahl at 701-787-3756 or email@example.com. To check out their website, log on to www.grandforksgov.com/greenway.