Have one fine auld lang syne
No plans yet for New Year’s Eve? Ring in 2018 with your family and friends in Greater Grand Forks! Our two towns provide residents and visitors lots of opportunities to have a great time in the great outdoors. Whether you want to pretend you’re legendary like Sidney Crosby or Kristi Yamaguchi, both the Grand Forks and East Grand Forks Park Districts offer scheduled times for open skating. If you’d rather do circle eights Downtown, the Town Square Ice Rink is just your cup of tea (or hot chocolate)! The whole family can also take in a day of sledding or cross-country skiing in Lincoln Drive Park.
If it’s blustery outside, then give bowling a try at one of two alleys. The kids would definitely enjoy splashing around in our water parks: Canad Inns Destination Center and Choice Health & Fitness. Open from 7:30 AM till 8 PM, Choice also features basketball, racquetball and tennis courts, fitness classes and a Kids Zone interactive play area. Northern Air Family Fun Center will be open from 10 AM to 7 PM and features a trampoline park, laser tag, plus lots of inflatables. And don’t forget to take a spin through Lincoln Drive Park, between 5:30 PM and Midnight, to check out the annual Lions Christmas in the Park light display.
For an adult date night, “Midnight at the Movies” is the way to go. This New Year’s Eve gala sponsored by the Greater Grand Forks Young Professionals takes place at Ralph Engelstad Arena and runs from 8 PM to 1 AM. Those 21+ can enjoy a “red carpet” entrance, music and dancing, blackjack gaming, appetizers, cash bar, movie trivia and much more. Doors open at 7:30 PM and tickets are $55.
As you can see, there are plenty of SimplyGrand ways to make the end of 2016 a day and night to remember!
New Year’s Eve To-Dos
- Cross Country Skiing/Sledding Hill: The Greenway, Lincoln Drive Park, Turtle River State Park
- Outdoor Skating Areas: Ben Franklin School, Cox Park, Elks Park, Kelly School, Lake Agassiz School, Lion’s Park, Optimist Park, Jaycees Park, University Park, Nash Park, Stauss Park, Town Square
- Indoor Skating Arenas: Purpur Arena, Gambucci Arena, Eagles Arena, Blue Line Arena, VFW Arena, EGF Civic Center
- Bowling Alleys: Red Ray Lanes (2105 S Washington St), East Grand Lanes (1500 5th Ave NE)
- Indoor Water Parks: Splasher’s of the South Seas at Canad Inns (1000 42nd St S), Choice Health & Fitness (4401 11th St S)
- Family Entertainment Venues: Northern Air Family Fun Center (1600 32nd Ave S)
- “Midnight at the Movies”: Ralph Engelstad Arena (1 Ralph Engelstad Arena Dr), 701-732-0085 (Greater Grand Forks Young Professionals)