Kid Stuff 101
Yay, school’s out for the summer! Uh-oh, now what am I gonna do? If you’re looking for things to entertain kids, Greater Grand Forks has lots of options.
For outdoor fun, try the Sherlock Forest Playground, Sherlock Pool or the LaGrave Outdoor Skate Park, all located in East Grand Forks. The Grand Forks Park District runs two outdoor splash parks, one in University Park and the other at Elks Pool, along with several playgrounds located throughout the city. Turtle River State Park (just a short 22 miles west of Grand Forks) sponsors a summer series called “Dakota Explorers,” which is a hands-on environmental program for youngsters. Family Fun Night, Grand Cities Art Fest and Sertoma Fun4th & Fireworks all feature many different games and activities.
On rainy day or when the temp dips a little too low, just head inside! The Canad Inns Destination Center features a tropical themed water park and mega arcade for both guests and non-guests. Likewise, the new Choice Health & Fitness facility offers an amazing water park and pool area, in addition to topnotch workout equipment and classes. Pay a visit to the rock climbing wall located at the Grand Cities Mall or stop by the new Scheels Sports in Columbia Mall for some bowling or bubble hockey. First Season Community Center has indoor playground equipment and other fun things to occupy the day, while kids can jump for joy at the Northern Air Family Fun Center complete with a trampoline park, inflatables and laser tag. Laser tag is also available at the newly opened Zar’s Fun Center, in addition to mini golf and table games. The whole family will want to explore the Cabela’s store in East Grand Forks. It features a 10,000 gallon aquarium filled with indigenous fish, a trout stream and many wild game mounts.
So next time you hear those dreaded words – “I’m bored” – you’ll be armed and ready! For all the latest happenings and things to do, make sure to check out www.visitgrandforks.com.
Sampling of Upcoming Children’s Events & Activities
- Friday Night Races – Every Friday (through Sept. 18) at River Cities Speedway
- Go Kart Races – Every Wednesday (through Sept. 12) at River Cities Speedway
- FREE Movie in the Park: “Paddington” – June 11 at University Park
- Toddler Storytime – June 11, 18 & 25 at GF Public Library
- Horse Barrel Racing – June 13 at GF Fairgrounds
- Grand Cities Art Fest – June 13 & 14 in Downtown GF & EGF
- Preschool Storytime – June 16, 23, 30 at GF Public Library
- Kids Storytime – June 17 & 24 at EGF Campbell Library
- FREE Movie Saturday – June 20 at GF Public Library
- 6th Annual Milk Mustache Contest – June 23 at 42nd St Valley Dairy
- Summerthing Kids! – June 24 & 25 at University Park
- Greater Grand Forks Fair – June 24-28 at GF Fairgrounds
- FREE Movie in the Park: “Maleficent” – June 25 at University Park
- Sertoma Fun4th & Fireworks – July 4 in Town Square
- Family Fun Night – July 28 at University Park
- Cabela’s: 210 DeMers Ave, 218-773-0282
- Canad Inns Destination Center: 1000 S 42nd St, 701-772-8404
- Choice Health & Fitness: 4401 S 11th St, 701-746-2790
- Northern Heights Rock Climbing Gym: Grand Cities Mall, 701-795-5085
- Pool/Skate Park/Playgrounds in EGF: East Grand Forks Park District, 218-773-8000
- Pools/Splash Parks/Playgrounds in GF: Grand Forks Park District, 701-746-2750
- Sherlock Forest Playground: Sherlock Park, 218-773-8000
- Turtle River State Park: Arvilla, ND, 701-594-4445
- Northern Air Family Fun Center: 1600 32nd Ave S, 701-772-8404
- Northern Heights Rock Climbing Gym: 1726 S Washington St, 701-795-5085
- Scheels Sports: 2800 S Columbia Rd, 701-780-9424
- Zar’s Fun Center: 715 S Washington St, 701-757-4104
Please share your kids’ favorite #grandforks activities!