Kid Stuff 101
Yay, school’s out for the summer! Uh-oh, now what am I gonna do? If you’re looking for things to entertain kids, Greater Grand Forks has lots of options!
For outdoor fun, try Sherlock Forest Playground, Sherlock Park Pool or LaGrave Outdoor Skate Park, all located in East Grand Forks. The Grand Forks Park District runs three outdoor spray parks (University Park, Elks Pool and Choice) plus the newly remodeled Riverside Pool and several playgrounds located throughout the city. If you feel adventurous, rent a canoe from Boathouse on the Red and spend the day navigating our Red River of the North. Just a short 22 miles west of Grand Forks on Highway 2, Turtle River State Park sponsors a summer series called “Dakota Explorers,” which is a hands-on environmental program for youngsters. Summerthing Kids Family Fun Festival, Family Community Block Party and Sertoma’s 4th of July Festival all feature many different games and activities.
On rainy day or when the temp dips a little too low, just head inside. The Canad Inns Destination Center features a tropical themed water park and mega arcade for both guests and non-guests. Likewise, the new Choice Health & Fitness facility offers an amazing water park and pool area, in addition to topnotch workout equipment and classes. Pay a visit to the rock climbing wall located at the UND Wellness Center or stop by Scheels Sports in Columbia Mall for some bowling or bubble hockey. First Season Community Center has indoor playground equipment and other fun things to occupy the day, while kids can jump for joy at the Northern Air Family Fun Center complete with a trampoline park, inflatables and laser tag. The whole family will want to explore the Cabela’s store in East Grand Forks. It features a 10,000 gallon aquarium filled with indigenous fish, a trout stream and many wild game mounts.
So, the next time you hear those dreaded words – “I’m bored” – you’ll be armed and ready! For all the latest happenings and things to do, make sure to check out www.visitgrandforks.com.
- BMX Racing – Tuesdays at Red River BMX Track
- Go Kart Races – Wednesdays at River Cities Speedway
- Craft Time for Kids – Wednesdays at Augustana Lutheran
- Premier Racing – Fridays at River Cities Speedway
- Children’s Summer Storytime – Saturdays at UND Bookstore
- Movies in the Park: June 28 at University Park; July 24 at University Park; August 7 at Lincoln Park; August 23 at Riverside Park
- Free Movie Saturday – 3rd Saturday of the month at GF Public Library
- Summerthing Kids & Family Fun Festival – June 27 & 28 at University Park
- Sertoma Grand Forks July 4th Festival & Fireworks at Town Square & The Greenway
- Community Block Party – July 24 at University Park
- Boathouse on the Red: 101 Riverboat Rd, GF, 701-747-0131
- Cabela’s: 210 DeMers Ave, EGF, 218-773-0282
- Canad Inns Destination Center: 1000 S 42nd St, GF, 701-772-8404
- Choice Health & Fitness & Spray Park: 4401 S 11th St, GF, 701-746-2790
- Elks Pool & Spray Park: 1002 13th Ave S, GF, 701-746-2780
- First Season Community Center: 1110 7th Ave S, GF, 701-746-2763
- Northern Air Family Fun Center: 1600 32nd Ave S, GF, 701-772-8404
- Riverside Pool: 1801 N 1st St, GF, 701-740-1497
- Rock Climbing Gym: UND Wellness Center, 801 Princeton St, GF, 701-777-9355
- Sherlock Forest Playground: 607 5th Ave NW, EGF 218-773-8000
- Turtle River State Park: 3084 Park Ave, Arvilla, ND, 701-795-3180
- Scheels Sports: 2800 S Columbia Rd, GF, 701-780-9424
- Sherlock Park Pool: 919 5th Ave NW, EGF, 218-773-9231
- University Spray Park: 320 N 25th St, GF, 701-746-2750