Besides being one of the most uniquely beautiful buildings in Greater Grand Forks, the historic Empire Arts Center has become a downtown hub of great live entertainment.
Home to the Empire Theatre Company, this talented troop’s Season Five slate of shows is nothing less than stellar! With everything from hilarious musicals to impactful dramas, their upcoming productions will have you laughing, crying and up on your feet, giving a standing ovation. Several nationally acclaimed musicians will also be taking the stage, with some excellent holiday concerts booked for this fall.
- As proof of its diversity, just take a look at the Empire Arts Center’s 2016-17 schedule:
- October 13-15 & 20-22, 7:30 PM – “Constellations” (Drama examining how the tiniest change in the details of our lives can lead us on completely different paths. For mature audiences.)
- October 29, 30 & 31, Midnight – Nine & Numb presents: “The Rocky Horror Picture Show LIVE” (Prepare to be thrilled, chilled and fulfilled as a live cast of actors perform in front of a screen playing the cult 1975 film starring Tim Curry, Susan Sarandon and Meatloaf.)
- November 25-27 & December 1-4, 7:30 PM /Sundays at 2 PM – “A Christmas Story: The Musical” (Classic comedic tale that follows the escapades of 9-year-old Ralphie and his eccentric family.)
- November 29, 7 PM – Home for the Holidays: A Kat Perkins Christmas (This talented “The Voice” season 6 semifinalist will add her own modern spin to a blend of traditional Christmas carols.)
- December 5 & 6, 7:30 PM – A Magical Musical Medora Christmas (Talented Burning Hills Players and vocalists Jared Mason, Emily Walter and Job Christensen will serenade you with lots of classic holiday songs, while magician, juggler and speaker extraordinaire, Bill Sorensen, hosts the show.)
- March 9-11 & 16-18, 7:30 PM – “Peter & the Starcatcher” (Tony Award winning musical that takes a hilarious romp through Neverland and answers the question: How did Peter Pan become the boy who never grew up?)
- April 20-22 & 27-29, 7:30 PM – “Blackbird” (Deeply complex portrayal of two people, a middle-aged man and a young woman, whose ruined lives are inextricably intertwined. For mature audiences.)
For further details on these events and information on purchasing tickets, go to www.empireartscenter.com.
While you’re in our trendy Downtown District, you should definitely check out the terrific dining and nightclub scene. Some of the local favorites include The Toasted Frog, Sky’s, Rhombus Guys, Level 10, Joe Black’s, The Loft, Blue Moose Bar & Grill, Up North Pizza Pub and Whitey’s. More information on these and all Greater Grand Forks restaurants and bars may be found on the Dining and To See & Do sections of www.visitgrandforks.com and The Official Grand Forks App available on Google Play and the App Store.