What’s up this weekend (8.28.15)?
If you are visiting Grand Forks this weekend or already live here and are looking for something to do, look no further. Each week the Convention & Visitors Bureau will highlight the upcoming weekend’s special events.
The weekend of August 28 promises to be a big one! With all the UND students back and some great activities, the town is sure to be bustling with lots of excitement. There is still time to buy tickets, register or just plan to attend these events.
Friday, August 28
- Def Leppard at the Alerus Center – Styx and Tesla are joining these classic rockers with a show that promises of night a great music. Tickets are still available through Ticketmaster at various price points. The Alerus Center will start rockin’ at 7 p.m.
- Friday Night Races at River Cities Speedway – Every Friday beginning in April and running through mid-September River Cities Speedway, recently named No. 1 in the country for sprint car racing by PennLive.com, is alive with premier racing. Outlaw Sprints, Late Models, Midwest Modifieds and Street Stocks all vye for the checkered flag. Hot laps start at 6 p.m. with the races kicking off at 7 p.m. Tickets can be purchased at the gate or in advance ($3 discount on adult tickets) at Home of Economy, StaMart, University Station, El Roco Bottle Shop, Gateway Cenex or Northdale Oil. Discounts are available for military personnel and students.
Saturday, August 29
- The Color Run (aka “happiest 5K on the planet”) at the Alerus Center – THE COLOR RUN Shine Tour 2015, the single largest event series in the nation, returns to Grand Forks this Saturday! The event begins at 8 a.m. THE COLOR RUN celebrates healthiness, happiness and individuality, bringing the community together to create a 5K canvas of colorful fun. You can still register online. It is $39.50 per person to participate or if you want to register a team, it is only $35 per person.
- Farmers’ Market at Town Square – This is the region’s premier summer outdoor market with fresh produce, home baked goods (try the carrot cake bars), handmade crafts, jewelry and entertainment. The market runs from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. every Saturday through late September.
- Blues on the Red Summer Music Series at Town Square – Blues on the Red is an annual three-part music festival (June, July & August) with top blues acts from around the country. The event is free, but bring a few bucks for the beer garden and awesome food along with your lawn chair. The music with openers, the Brian Naughton Band, kicks off at 6 p.m. Headliner, Randy McAllister, will follow and sing the Blues until 10 p.m.
Friday, August 28-Sunday, August 30
- Grand Forks Pride – Pride returns to Greater Grand Forks to celebrate diversity and inclusion in the community. There will be multiple events throughout the weekend including a drag show, comedian Deanne Smith, free movies, park games and Sunday brunch. Events take place in Town Square, Empire Arts Center, the Greenway, American Legion, Dakota Harvest Bakers and Christus Rex. A full schedule with times and locations can be found here.
If you are planning an event and want to share it with local residents and visitors, click here and add it to the calendar of events.
For more details or new listings, check out the calendar of events. Have a fun weekend in Greater Grand Forks and lookout for “What’s up this weekend?” next week!