Romancing your Valentine in Grand style
Valentine’s Day is fast approaching. Don’t have any plans yet with your significant other? Well then, you best read on! Luckily, Greater Grand Forks has lots of great date options and here are my Top 5:
1. ON THE BOARDWALK. Drive your date to the East Side for a flick and some food. Start out the evening with an early showing of the new movie “Fifty Shades of Gray” at River Cinema 15. Afterward, journey across the street to Blue Moose. Located on the popular Boardwalk dining district, it’s the perfect spot for a juicy-licious burger stuffed with bleu cheese, mushrooms and ham or some sweet ‘n’ sassy Norwegian barbecue ribs. Quench your thirst with a choice of nearly fifty brews of beer in their Back Forty Bar.
2. UPSCALE DOWNTOWN. The Toasted Frog is the best place around to get pickled. By that I mean their martinis and deep-fried cheesy pickles will make your head spin. Then stroll hand-in-hand down 3rd Street to Sanders for a 5-star dinner with your 5-star sweetie that includes champagne, Maryland crab cakes, filet mignon with peppercorn sauce and a crème caramel that comes topped with fresh fruit and whipped cream.
3. COLD HANDS WARM HEART. Your thrill-filled night begins with an exciting University of North Dakota Men’s Hockey game at the amazing Ralph Engelstad Arena. The venue may be cool but some warm Bavarian almonds and all the cheering will quickly warm you both up. It may be late when the final horn sounds but the legendary Big Sioux Truck Stop is open 24/7 and serves some of the best homemade eats in town. It may not be the fanciest joint but the hot beef sandwich with brown gravy and criss-cut fries is first-class comfort food at its finest.
4. CANOODLE OVER NOODLES. Giuseppe’s, located in a quaint Downtown historic building, offers a romantic atmosphere similar to that of traditional Italian ristorantes. Just some of the divine dishes to try are the veal marsala, balsamic chicken, shrimp fra diavlo, Sicilian sausage & peppers, five-cheese ravioli and house made meatballs covered in a marvelous marinara sauce. And of course, a nice bottle of vino is a must.
5. ROOM WITH A VIEW. If you really wanna wow your boo, rent one of the theme-suites or even the penthouse at Canad Inns. Go cowboy and share the Dakota room with your pardner or perhaps a tropical getaway in the South Seas suite is more to your liking. Since all of them have Jacuzzis, you’ll probably prefer to just order up room service from one of Canad Inns’ three restaurants so you can dine while you dip.
For the 411 on all these hot spots, go to www.visitgrandforks.com and peruse our Dine & Nightlife, To Do and Stay pages.